Thursday, September 25, 2014

Still Trying Not to Be an ASPCA Commercial

Ms. Parham said that my last post effectively used pathos to build my ethos. Except now, on my day off (happy Rosh Hashanah!) I find myself on the lacking side of an argument.

So you've already found out about how utterly awkward and rather introverted I sound. How I'd love to try and organize a drive to eventually contribute to the Westport Humane Society. It all sounds peachy, right?

Except, the sad thing is, most people will not happen to stumble across my blog. It will not pop up into your Facebook feed, saying "read me!", and it will not (hopefully) be blown up on a billboard asking for 5 minutes of your time. Instead it will probably rest in peace where we left it: the end of 3rd period World Lit.

But for the sake of the change I need to see, I can't and won't let it do that. The issue itself is much too big to even try and ignore; to put it in simplistic terms, it's the elephant in the room. As a girl who has watched animals come in and out of her life, I can say that standing by idly about the subject is the last thing I want to do. My family has never been shy to aiding animals before; we took care of a sickly cat who wandered into our yard looking for a home, until she later passed away due to natural causes. My mom likes to think that she came into our lives for a reason: she knew she would be taken care of with us. To this day I still think that although it was a tragic ending, I'm glad that her last decision was to come to us.

About 7.6 million companion animals (a.k.a. household dogs and cats) enter nationwide shelters every year. To put it in perspective, that's larger than the twice the population of Connecticut.  With such a high number, it can be overwhelming for shelters to gain the resources that they need in order to properly care for these animals. Which is why although on a smaller scale, it would be personally satisfying and helpful to many animals to make a contribution to the humane society.

I won't bombard you with facts and shame to try and motivate you to go out right now and clean out the local Petco's shelves of food to donate. But at least for Fairfield, I want the best future to come for those animals that currently don't know where their next meal will come from, or if they can find a home.


3 comments:

  1. Hello Kai! I think that you used logic very well in this argument. One of the ways that I think you effectively used logic was through the statistics that you listed. I was not previously aware that so many animals entered shelters each year, and it made me understand that this issue is more important than I had previously thought. Also, I liked the way that you emphasized that this issue must be faced on a community level. This makes your goal seem more logical and realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kai I really thought that the use of the facts in your post brought your point home very well. I especially enjoyed the transitions you used to tie them in. Above all, however, your persistence in your use of ethos in your writing really sets the tone for your topic and makes your writing that much more full and effective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your use of statistics not only contributed to your logos but also helped your ethos, which lends you more credibility on the subject. Your tone, although relatively informal, is used most effectively in your blog to not only create humor that furthers your ethos and connection to the audience (through pathos) and seems to coordinate itself well with the pragmatism of your project.

    ReplyDelete