Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Where I'm From: Fairfield

Where I'm From

Where I'm from,
the people are not the nicest,
not the brightest,
but can definitely be the richest.

Where I'm from, 
it's not rude to stare at the person
wearing a different shirt,
boasting a different culture,
or donning a different skin color.
In fact,
it would be the ultimate displeasure 
to find yourself being the one
standing out.

Where I'm from,
everyone has a name and a face. 
"Katie's become a cheerleader!"
"Did you hear about Kylie's party?"
Everyone knows what's up
and what's gone down.

Where I'm from
everything is connected,
everyone is connected,
except somehow we're all still separated.
It's as if
we've built a hierarchy
never discussed,
but always enforced.

Where I'm from
there used to be a timid girl,
always known as "one of the five Asians,"
barely had a name,
didn't like her face.

Where she went,
she never felt that way again.

1 comment:

  1. This poem is very powerful. I like your use of simple words to convey a complicated and difficult subject. The lighthearted word choice (ex. "Everyone knows what's up / and what's gone down") contrasts interestingly with the serious content of the poem.

    ReplyDelete